Thursday, July 30, 2009

Change is a part of life....




Thursday, July 30

Wow the time is flying by here and every day is filled with exciting events. We've been busy babysitting my niece, relaxing at the lake and spending time in the city. I have also been to a football match (soccer game) while enjoying a bratwurst famous to that region. Last week we did another two hour hike/climb and when we rode the cable car back down, hail had destroyed the back of our car windshield. Luckily, they had insurance. We've also met up with some friends for dinner and wonder if we are going to have time to meet up with everyone.

I spent a lovely day yesterday with a friend in the city. We had a picnic lunch or ate our lunch in the grass in a park in the middle of the city. We then spent the rest of the afternoon on the lake. The water was of course extremely cold but refreshing. For dinner, we grilled outside again. Raphi is actually working today and tomorrow which is great for our piggy bank:) I will tutor again for three days next week which I am looking forward to also. This is the same girl I worked with last year. I met up this morning with three girls that I worked with at my old school and it was great to catch up. A lot has changed at my old school now the owner and head retired last year.

It definitely feels odd to be back here, in my old surrondings, all the places I was so familiar with still feel like they haven't changed at all. I feel at home and comfortable yet oddly like a tourist. Coming back here, I feel my growth as a person. I feel as if I have had the freedom to become who I am in Dallas, not as I should be when I was in Zurich. I felt an amazing amount of pressure living here and people telling me how I should behave and what a women is in this culture. When I lived here I tried, as I believe you very well should, to be swiss or assimulate into the culture. This pressure taught me a great deal and challenged me on many levels. I will always be thankful for the time I spent here.

In Dallas I am who I am and I don't need to expain myself to anyone. This is truly freeing. With that being said, my heart will always be here and feel that this place is also home to me.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love your posts! And I think I know what you mean about being one way in Europe and another in Dallas. They are such different cultures!

    ReplyDelete